Skip navigation to main content Text version | Accessibility help Friday 24 November 2017
Medway Council Logo - Takes you to the Council home page
Search CityArk
Home | About Medway archives | Search - Explorer Query Tool | Java Query Tool | Map Search | Text Only
You are here: Medway Council > CityArk > Home > Query > Results
Your query generated 14 results (Page 1 of 1)

Result number 1 - Please quote Reference: 06a_DE_SERIES_1001_1200/DE1148 on request slip.

Path: Accessions/ 06a_DE_SERIES_1001_1200/ DE1148.html

Additional records of Medway Branch, Dunkirk Veterans’ Association (DVA), meeting at Royal British Legion Club, 78 Livingstone Road, Gillingham, and personal records of Arthur N. Oates of Gillingham, Dunkirk Veteran, comprising:

 

minutes 1999-2000

 

attendance register 1987-1997 (1 volume)

 

register of members giving name, address telephone number, branch number, regiment or branch of service, service number, life number and date of death 1991-2006 (1 volume)

 

2nd. newsletter 1995 (1 sheaf)

 

personal journal of Sergeant Arthur N. Oates of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps kept during the campaign in north west Europe 1944-1945

 

scrapbook containing postcards and mementoes of holiday in Austria, Jugoslavia, Belgium, Holland/Netherlands and Luxembourg, summer 1983 (1 volume)

 

printed matter and circulars pertaining to DVA and Royal Army Service Corps activities 1948-2004 (1 folder)

 

felt burgee issued by Rochester upon Medway City Council to Dunkirk Little Ships on occasion of 50th. anniversary of Dunkirk evacuation 1990 (1 item, fabric)

 

recollections of Arthur Oates, driver and motorcyclist in Royal Army Service Corps, 48th. Division, Dunkirk and England 1940 and Germany 1945, composed c.1995 (3pp.) with circulars and correspondence about Dunkirk Veterans’ Association business, associated printed leaflets and personal photographs of Bayham Abbey, Lamberhurst, Sussex (1975), Scotney Castle, Lamberhurst, Sussex (1975), Great Witley, Worcestershire, Ledbury, Herefordshire, Allington Lock, Allington and Chatham Dockyard (1975), Charlocote House, Warwickshire, Chester (1978) and Walsingham Abbey, Norfolk (1975) (1 packet);

 

printed matter including reprints of wartime newspapers commemorating evacuation from Dunkirk 1940 and D Day 1944, 1990-1994 (1 bundle)

 

certificate awarded to A.N. Oates, Royal Army Service Corps, by the Town of Dunkirk [1990?] (2 copies) [French] [cf. France]

 

Photographs and newscuttings relating to winding up of branch 1994-2005 (1 bundle)

Deposited 11 September 2007

 

service records of Lance Sergeant Arthur N. Oates of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps, with active service edition of the New Testament, printed book of devotions for men on active service, French, Dutch and Belgian pre-war banknotes (4 items in small wallet), diploma issued by French Government to Mr. Oates for service in Normandy 1944-1945 (2003), service sheet for visit of SS Jeremiah O’Brien to Chatham Maritime1994 and photographs and printed matter pertaining to depositor post-war. Includes printed booklet entitled Life of a British PoW in Poland May 31st 1940- April 30  by James Stedman of Gillingham, 1992 and small printed booklet entitled My Faith on Active Service c.1940 and other ephemera

1910-2005

Deposited 11 September 2007

 

1910-2005

Deposited 11 September 2007

 

[Historical note. The depositor was secretary of the Medway Branch DVA 1991-2000 and Treasurer of Lord Kitchener Memorial Home, Chatham 1980-1995]

[For previous deposit see DE742]

File updated by Borough Archivist 2 October 2007


Date: 1944-2006
Quantity: 1 box
Result number 2 - Please quote Reference: 06_DE_SERIES_0751_1000/DE0909 on request slip.

Path: Accessions/ 06_DE_SERIES_0751_1000/ DE0909.html

Clients’ records of Berry and Berry of 11 Church Road, Tunbridge Wells, solicitors, via Senior Research Archivist, Centre for Kentish StudiesSessions House, County Hall,County Road, Maidstone, comprising:

Lease to messuage and shop in Ordnance Place, Chatham, bounded by premises belonging to Robert Hodges and William Thompson (east), James Best Esq. (south), John Beadell (west) and Cannon Street (north), parties Robert Hodges of Chatham, grocer and William Beadell of same, builder, term of 81 years, annual rent £1 28 September 1829, with site plan (1 membrane)

Assignment of leasehold mortgage to messuage in Cannon Street, Ordnance Place, Chatham, parties Thomas Day of Credenhill, Herefordshire, butcher and Thomas Gaskin of Chatham, gentleman, for residue of term of 81 years in consideration of £115, 11 August 1865 (1 membrane)

Call number/ISAD (G) number: DE909

Date: 1829, 1865
Quantity: 2 membranes
Result number 3 - Please quote Reference: DRc_Dean_and_Chapter_of_Rochester_Cathedral_1541_1994/DRc_FTb_048 on request slip.

Path: Ecclesiastical_Regular_and_Capitular_Foundations/ DRc_Dean_and_Chapter_of_Rochester_Cathedral_1541_1994/ BB03_Financial_Records_1541_1919/ 02_DRc_FT_Treasurer_1548_to_1913/ 01_DRc_FTb_Treasurers_books_1548_to_1913/ DRc_FTb_048.html

Dean and Chapter of Rochester    Finance records: Treasurers' books (DRc/FTb )

 

  Giving lists of names and signatures of recipients arranged under headings as per cathedral officers, canons, prebends, choristers, paupers [beadsmen?] and pupils of the Cathedral Grammar School.

 

Treasurer's book - Edmund Barrell.

 

Includes expenses: paid Mr. Whitledge bookseller, by the hands of Robin Bayley [cf. Bailey], carrier, two pounds eighteen shillings and eight pence for Dr. Gibson's Codex Juris Eccles[iastici Anglicani] bound in 2 volumes and lettered at the back, 6 February 1714

 

Includes expenses: given to Mr. Hughes, (secretary to the Office of Ordnance] two guineas for his advice in the affair of the church's estate in Chatham within the lines of fortification, 19 July 1714

 

Includes 1s alms given to one redeemed from slavery, 28 December 1713

 

Includes 6d alms given to one John Steward [cf. Stewart, Stuart] shipwrecked on the Irish coast [cf. Ireland], 24 January 1714

 

Includes 1s alms given to 2 poor sailors that had been cast away upon the coast of Penzance in the county of Cornwall, 2 February 1714

 

Includes 6d alms given to a poor woman with a sore breast, 19 March 1714

 

Includes 6d alms given to a poor sailor cast away upon the Scilly (Silly) Isles [Cornwall], 30 March 1714

 

Includes 2s 6d alms given to John Sheaf [cf. Sheafe] and William Filles towards paying their fees and releasing them out of prison, after their being acquitted of the robbery they were tried for, 30 March 1714

 

Includes 6d alms given to a poor fellow disturbed in his mind, 31 March 1714

 

Includes 6d alms given to David Walter a poor blind soldier, 6 April 1714

 

Includes 6d alms paid to 2 disbanded soldiers with a pass from Gibraltar, 16 April 1714

 

Includes 5s alms given to Charles Arnott [cf. Arnot] son of Dr. Arnott, who lived in Canterbury, towards paying his prison fees, 26 April 1714

 

Includes 2s 6d alms given to one Thomas Howard, a poor maimed soldier of a broken regiment in Spain, 30 April 1714

 

Includes 2s 6d alms given to one John Wheatley of Cranbourne a poor sufferer by fire, 11 May 1714

 

Includes 1s alms given to one Don Francisco Cheras a Spaniard [cf. Spain], that had been cast away on the coast of England, 27 July 1714

 

Includes 6d alms given to Thomas Fowler and John Brown that had been taken by a Sally [cf. Algiers, Algeria, Africa, Barbary] man of war, and retaken by a Dutch man [of war], 23 August 1714

 

Includes 6d alms given to one Thomas Johnson with a pass for Denmark, his native country, 23 September 1714

 

Includes 5s alms given to one Mr. Freeman Williamson, bachelor of arts, a great object of charity, 8 October 1714

 

Includes 6d alms given to one Alexander Gordon, a North Briton [cf. Scotland] that had been cast away, 28 October 1714

 

Includes various sums given to George Roben, Henry Tudor, John Ashington, James Wakelin, Daniel Jackson and John Edwards and several others that were cast away homewards bound from the West Indies, 6 November 1714

 

Includes 6d alms given to one Anne Wood, going by the name of the Fairy Queen, 13 November 1714

 

Includes 5s alms given to Mr. Hugh Pugh (Pughe) a poor minister from Herefordshire, and a great object of charity, 18 November 1714

 

Includes 6d alms given to one John Boacham, Levite Thomas and others that had been cast away coming from the West Indies, 18 November 1714

 

Includes 6d alms given to one William Hamerstone and others with a pass from Dartmouth [Devon], 30 November 1714

 

Includes 1s alms given to William Froget [cf. Frogett, Frogatt] and James Smith 2 poor maimed soldiers from Port Mahon [Minorca, cf. Spain, Balearic Islands, Mediterranean], 11 December 1714

 

Includes alms given to numerous returning disbanded, discharged, maimed, sick and poor soldiers and seamen, many named and persons released from slavery in Turkey.

 

Latin and English.

 

File updated by borough archivist 13 August 2002.

Date: 1713-1714
Quantity: 1 booklet
Result number 4 - Please quote Reference: DRc_Dean_and_Chapter_of_Rochester_Cathedral_1541_1994/DRc_FTb_120_1 on request slip.

Path: Ecclesiastical_Regular_and_Capitular_Foundations/ DRc_Dean_and_Chapter_of_Rochester_Cathedral_1541_1994/ BB03_Financial_Records_1541_1919/ 02_DRc_FT_Treasurer_1548_to_1913/ 01_DRc_FTb_Treasurers_books_1548_to_1913/ DRc_FTb_120_1.html

Dean and Chapter of Rochester

Finance records: treasurer

Treasurers' books 1548-1913 (DRc/FTb 1-243)

Each book is as a general rule divided up as follows: salaries paid to the Dean, prebendaries, minor canons, lay readers, choirmaster, organist, choristers, King's scholars, officers, stewards, counsellor, bailiff, and other church officers; the royal subsidy and annuity; pensions to the clergy; episcopal fees (exenia); alms; reparations to the fabric of the cathedral; exhibitions for King's scholars; expenses at law: extraordinary expenses and highway repair; necessaries; wood for fuel; carriage; and other items.

Giving lists of names and signatures of recipients arranged under headings as per cathedral officers, canons, prebends, choristers, beadsmen and pupils of the Cathedral Grammar School.

Treasurer's book - Charles Coldcall

Includes under necessary but uncertain expenses, £30 subscription to the repairs of Hereford Cathedral [Herefordshire], 11 February 1789;

Includes under necessary but uncertain expenses, 10s 6d subscription to Dr. Owen on modes of quotation used by the evangelical writers, 11 February 1789;

Includes under necessary but uncertain expenses, 12s subscribed to Mr. Street's translation of the Psalms, 11 February 1789;

Includes under necessary but uncertain expenses, £45 4s 6d paid to Hogben for survey of Sharsted [cf. Shawstead] Farm [Chatham] and for mapping, 23 June 1789;

Includes expenses incurred on account of Minor Canon Row and the organist and schoolmaster's houses, Rochester (p.32);

Includes expenses incurred on account of repairs to the cathedral fabric (p.34);

[See DRc/FTb 120/2 for removed loose enclosure]

English.

Date: 1788-1789
Quantity: 1 booklet/47pp. used
Result number 5 - Please quote Reference: DRc_Rochester_Priory_and_other_Religious_Houses_1080_1541/01_Intro on request slip.

Path: Ecclesiastical_Regular_and_Capitular_Foundations/ DRc_Rochester_Priory_and_other_Religious_Houses_1080_1541/ 01_Intro.html

MEDWAY ARCHIVES AND LOCAL STUDIES CENTRE

DRc

RECORDS OF THE DEAN AND CHAPTER OF ROCHESTER c.1080-1964

Click here to view the full list of the Rochester Priory records or select the folder from the query tool by following the instructions given there.

These archives were deposited by the Dean and Chapter of Rochester in the Kent Archives Office [now Centre for Kentish Studies], County Hall, Maidstone, Kent in 1959, and were listed there by Miss Anne M. Oakley MA FSA between the years 1963-1970. The collection was transferred to Medway Archives Office on 27 April 1992 and the list prepared and edited for for CityArk Phase II by the City Archivist/Borough Archivist 1997-2001

Re-edited by Borough Archivist July 2000 (Priory introduction).

For a link to the Rochester Cathedral web site Click Here ......or here [two different sites appear to be in operation as at 3 July 2000]

Historical Introduction

The church of St. Andrew the Apostle, Rochester was founded by Ethelbert, King of Kent as a college for a small number of secular canons under Justus, Bishop of Rochester in AD 604. Very little is know about the history of this house. It never seems to have had much influence outside its own walls, and though it possessed considerable landed estates, seems to have been relatively small and poor. It also suffered at the hands of the Danes [cf. Denmark]. Bishops Justus, Romanus, Paulinus and Ithamar were all remarkable men, but after Bishop Putta's translation to Hereford [cf. Herefordshire] in AD 676, very little is heard of Rochester. Their bishop, Siweard is not mentioned as having been at the Battle of Hastings in Sussex with King Harold as were many of the Saxon bishops and abbots, and the house put up no opposition to King William I when he seized their lands and gave them to his lay brother Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, Normandy, France whom he had created Earl of Kent. The chroniclers say that the house was destitute and that when Siweard died in 1075 it was barely able to support the five canons on the establishment (1).

Four years after his conquest of England, King William I invited his friend Lanfranc, Prior of Caen, Normandy, France and a former monk of Bec in there to be his archbishop at Canterbury. Lanfranc's task was specific: to reorganise English monasticism on the pattern of Bec; to develop a strict cloistered monasticism but one of a kind that was not entirely cut off by physical barriers from the life of the rest of the church. He drew unsparingly on Bec for his ideas, his bishops and his monks. Four bishops of Rochester hailed from Bec, several priors and many monks. Among the bishops, by far the most important was Gundulf, his friend, pupil and chamberlain whom he brought over with him to England in 1070 (2).

(1) This account of the cathedral priory of St. Andrew the Apostle, Rochester is based on those in The Victoria County History of Kent II, pp. 121-125, E. Hasted, History of Kent II, pp. 22-25, F.F. Smith, History of Rochester pp. 273-335; W.H. St. John Hope The Architectural History of the Cathedral Church and Monastery of St Andrew at Rochester, Archaeologia Cantiana XXIII, pp. 194-328 and XXIV, pp 1-85; and H. Wharton, Anglia Sacra, I, pp. 329-394. Part of King Ethelbert's endowment included the land from the river Medway to the Eastgate of the City of Rochester on the south part and practically all the land on the south side of the High Street, all within the city walls. The priory property was extended on the same site in 1225 and again in 1344 making necessary the construction of new walls and ditches on both occasions. (See also DRc/T62, T280).

Siweard, Bishop of Rochester died in 1075 and to replace him Lanfranc brought over a monk from Bec, Arnost, as Bishop. He died within the year and at Lanfranc's instigation, King William I agreed to the appointment of Gundulf as bishop. This proved ultimately the turning point in the history of Rochester (3). King William showed no reluctance or lack of effort in assisting Lanfranc to recover the former properties of the church now that his relations with his lay brother had become strained and difficult and in 1076, therefore, Lanfranc successfully repossessed himself of a major part of the lands which had once belonged to St. Andrew's church at the great assembly held on Penenden Heath. Some of this property formed the principal re-endowment of the house in 1077 and was given by Lanfranc to Gundulf when he enthroned him as Bishop of Rochester in that year.

Edmund de Hadenham [cf. Haddenham, Buckinghamshire], the thirteenth century chronicler, says that Lanfranc made it a condition of his friend's establishment at Rochester that the canons should be replaced by monks, but as no other establishment was made until 1083, it would appear that Gundulf bided his time. No one knows now what really happened. There is a brief mention in the Textus Roffensis of one Aegelric, priest of Chatham and a former Canon of Rochester who made a gift to the new house to secure the honourable burial of his wife there, but not a word more.

In 1083 Lanfranc visited Rochester and himself instituted twenty two monks of the Benedictine order in the house, some from Bec (4), probably some from the two houses at Canterbury, Christchurch and St Augustine, and possibly some from Caen. He endowed the house with property making careful and distinct provision for the bishop and the monks. Some of the lands he gave them were his own, others he purchased, and some he had acquired in 1076. Gundulf also purchased and acquired a great deal of property for his house which rapidly found favour with the Norman kings. Together with Archbishop Lanfranc he began the rebuilding of the church and monastery buildings. In the rebuilding of his church, Gundulf followed the usual practice of starting his new building to the east of the existing church so that there would be no interruption in the services of the church. He also appears to have incorporated part of the City wall into his building as the tower known as Gundulf's tower was one of the watch towers (5). Substantial parts of his work remain today, particularly in the Crypt.

[(2) D. Knowles, The Monastic Order in England , 2nd ed. pp. 83-134
(3) There is an excellent translation of the Life of Gundulf by the nuns of St. Marys Abbey, West Malling 1968.
(4) Knowles op cit p.112

No distinction was made in the early years of the refoundation between the episcopal and prioral possessions. The reason for this was simply that there was no need for any such distinction. The bishop of Rochester was titular abbot of St Andrews and the prior was directly subject to him. At least until the first quarter of the twelfth century the Bishop actually lived in the house with the monks as one of the family (6). John of Seez was probably the first bishop to set up a separate establishment, but Bishop Gundulf himself made some division of the properties between himself and the monks before his death in 1108 (7). Until the thirteenth century, gifts were made to the bishop or to the bishop and the monks of St Andrew's Church, Rochester but very rarely to the prior although it is more than probable that the offer was in existence from the refoundation (8). During the thirteenth century benefactors addressed their charters to the prior by name and the monks of St Andrew's church, Rochester, or first to the prior and monks of that place. It was not [contd.]

(5) See DRc/emf77
(6) This was also true at Christchurch, Canterbury until Stephen Langton became archbishop. It was, in any case, the natural thing to do, and exactly what one would have expected of Gundulf who thought of himself primarily as a monk. Lanfranc himself explicitly equated the offers of bishop and abbot. Knowles op. cit. p.622.

(7) See DRc/T47 and DRc/T57/5, a charter of Gundulf confirmed by Theobald, Archbishop of Canterbury in 1145. It was not until about 1125 that the influence of the black monks ceased to predominate. The canonical organisation of chapters tended to separate the bishop from the monastery and to give the foreign to monastic life. Knowles op. cit, p.133.

(8) DRc/T47-59]

until about 1260 that the term prior and convent became at all common. The inspeximus of King Henry III is addressed to the prior and convent of Rochester and this was the first occasion on which a royal charter had been so addressed (9).

When Lanfranc established the house at Rochester under the ministry of Gundulf, he is said to have realised that difficulties would arise over communally held property and therefore made careful division between the bishop and the monks. At first sight, this might seem a good idea, but the greatest difficulty of all lay in the fact that most of Lanfranc's re-endowment was made up of properties which had belonged to the church before the conquest of 1066. Properties involved included the manor and churches of St. Margaret, Rochester, Stoke, Wouldham, Frindsbury, East Wickham, Halling, Trottiscliffe, Borstal, Snodland, Cuxton, Malling, Denton, Longfield, Darenth, Southfleet and Fawkham. They were given to the church by Saxon Kings and nobles, but they were entrusted to the bishop. In Lanfranc's time there was no difficulty, nor could he foresee any, for while the bishop was a monk and lived in harmony with his monks no difficulty would present itself. Gundulf may have foreseen difficulties. Before he died he made further provision for the monks. As well as considerable pensions, tithes and rents, he gave them the manors of Stoke, Wouldham, Frindsbury, Denton, Southfleet, Lambeth (Surrey) and Haddenham (Buckinghamshire) King Henry I confirmed all these and also his gifts of the churches of Wouldham, Dartford, Woolwich, Sutton at Hone, Wilmington, Chislehurst, Aylesford, St. Margaret, Rochester, St. Nicholas' altar in Rochester Cathedral, Rotherfield and Stourmouth; he added Boxley church and Anselm, Archbishop of Canterbury added Norton church (10).

The house was wealthy, but when Ernulf of Bec died in 1124 it was the end of an era for the monks. King Henry I nominated John of Seez, Archdeacon of Canterbury to the vacant see and though they elected him as their bishop, the monks viewed him with suspicion. He was not a monk. During his short episcopate the prior became the effective head of the house. The bishop's duties changed and he became more a patron than a father, making occasional visits only and barely known to his monks.

[(9) DRc/T60
(10) DRc/T47-51]

He had his own household, separate from theirs and this separation of revenues and interests combined to make him and his successors a stranger to his monks and more often than not an opponent. The chronicler, Edmund de Hadenham [cf. Haddenham, Buckinghamshire] offers John of Seez no compliments. He says he made lavish gifts, began great things and did much good, but that it did not last (11). He took advantage of a great fire that ravaged the house in 1137, dispersed many of the monks to other houses, and stole from them the churches of Aylesford, Southfleet, Boxley, St. Margaret, Rochester and the altar of St. Nicholas in Rochester Cathedral, thus plunging the house into years of expensive litigation which ended only in 1144 when Pope Celistine decreed that the new bishop, Ascelin, should return them unconditionally to the monks to whom they rightfully belonged (12).

John's argument is obvious: The reason even more so. The revenues of the priory were far larger than those of the bishopric. On this occasion the monks were successful, but far more serious contentions broke out under Bishop Gilbert Glanville fifty years later which reverberated through the centuries.

Gilbert Glanville was Archdeacon of Lisieux in France. He was a great friend of Archbishop Baldwin of Canterbury and his successor there Archbishop Hubert Walter, and much in favour at court. He became Bishop of Rochester in 1184. His predecessor Waleran had proposed to seek papal permission to expel the monks from the cathedral, as he had a low opinion of the regular orders, but had died before he could implement the idea. Unfortunately for the monks, the plan was not uncountenanced by King Henry II who wished to cut the power of the regular orders, in so many ways exempt from the royal prerogative. Rochester, for instance, had the right to elect its own prior without royal interference, and had also enormous privileges within the City of Rochester. King Henry II therefore chose his friend Gilbert Glanville, together with Baldwin, Archbishop of Canterbury and Hugh Nonant, Bishop of Coventry to use Rochester as an experiment. They were to set up a college of secular canons who were not, in general, infected with principles dangerous to civil government, and who as friends of the national clergy, would form a powerful barrier against the encroachments of the roman pontiffs.

[(11) Wharton, op.cit., p.347
(12) DRc/L1]

Except at Coventry where force was used to set up a college of Vicars Choral, nothing came of the idea as the King's death put an end to all hopes of success, but disastrous failure though it was, it did nothing to ease relations between the bishop and his monks (13).

Gilbert Glanville remained in favour with the new king, Richard I and when he was captured in the Holy Land and later imprisoned in Germany, worked with a will to secure his release. His principal contribution was the establishment of the hospital of the New Work of St. Mary in Strood. This was a small house whose purpose was to pray for the restoration of Christianity in the Kingdom of Jerusalem and for the King's release from captivity, and to provide for the poor and travellers. It was a cause worthy of the monks' support, but without consulting them, the bishop appropriated two of their churches for the support of his new foundation, and further bribed their prior, Ralph de Ros, to give a piece of meadowland in Strood to the hospital in return for money to finish the stonework of the cathedral cloister and for a new pair of organs (14). Matters were made worse by the fact that the churches the bishop appropriated were Aylesford and St. Margaret, Rochester, only recently won back at great expense.

The monks complained. They petitioned the Pope to intervene and he did in fact do so, but to no purpose. The bishop forced the monks into an agreement to maintain the house as he had founded it together with the lands and churches he had given to it (15). The agreement remained more or less in force until 1239, then in 1256 the Pope declared that the churches should be returned to the monks. Gilbert was long since dead, buried in haste and deprived of the last rites, during the Interdict, but his successor refused to comply. The quarrel finally came to the test in the reign of Edward I when the monks were ambushed and beaten up by the monks at Strood while they were attempting to pass in procession through the hospital grounds (16). After this debate, the monks of Rochester gave up what was obviously an unequal struggle.

[(13) The History and Antiquities of Rochester and its Environs by John Denne, ed. by T. Fisher, 1817 pp. 112-115
(14) DRc/T572/1-15
(15) DRc/L3
(16) William Lambard, Perambulation of Kent , 1570 gives a spirited account of this incident, which, though he was violently anti-catholic, is most graphic. 1826 edition, pp. 328-331]

The Monks' quarrel with Gilbert Glanville stretched far beyond Strood Hospital to other problems which caused proportionate dissension: rights of presentation; the Bishop's xenium ; and the disposition of servants in the priory.

On the first problem, the Monks claimed rights of presentation to churches in their possession both within and outside the diocese of Rochester. In 1207 they possessed at least eleven within and seven outside the diocese, but they laid claim to others that belonged to the Bishop. On his part the Bishop made no claim to any. He merely stated that when John was Bishop he had never asked the Monks for authority. He had always presented and instituted incumbents to all vacant livings both inside and outside the diocese, but had secured to them their rightful pensions, which was all they were entitled to. Further Gilbert Glanville added that he proposed to do likewise, with the sole concession that those he instituted should do fealty to the Monks as well as himself (17). This was a meaningless concession. Although the Monks gave way on the Bishop's right of institution, they always denied that he had any right to present to priory livings inside the diocese. They did, however, reach agreement over presentations to livings outside the diocese of Rochester. The Bishop here claimed joint right of presentation with the Monks, and though they knew he had none, they allowed his claim; and as witness that they did so and kept their agreement at least in part, there is a document surviving among these archives showing the strictness with which it was adhered to in the cases of Norton, Boxley and Stourmouth in the diocese of Canterbury for over 150 years (18). The problem was not so much one of fees but of influence and authority. It emphasises the Bishop's ultimate authority over the priory and the Monks' refusal to accept it. Gilbert Glanville's interpretations of their charters were often wrong, but the Monks found that there was little they could do in defence of their rights.

[(17) DRc/L3
(18) DRc/L10]

The Disagreement over the Bishop's xenium is an interesting one. The income from the Bishop's estates was fairly small and the xenium was a recognised method of providing for hospitality at his table. The word itself signifies a gift made in token of hospitality. This was a particularly lavish one consisting of 16 suckling pigs, 30 geese, 300 hens, 1,000 lampreys, 1,000 eggs, four salmon and other items from each of the five principal priory manors of Frindsbury, Stoke, Wouldham, Denton and Southfleet, and further gifts of fish from Lambeth, Surrey and Haddenham, Buckinghamshire. It was Bishop Gundulf who had ordained in 1107 that the xenium should be given to the Bishop on St. Andrew's day (17 November) but with the important, and in this case, significant proviso that if the Bishop was away from Rochester on that day, it should be given to the poor (19). The Monks appear to have resented making the gift, and refused to bring it when the Bishop was away. They argued that it was an imposition and that it was contrary to the ordinance that the Bishop should have it if he were away. Gundulf had never imagined a time when the Bishop would not be present in his church at the patronal festival, and Gilbert Glanville argued in his defence that he was forced to travel and could not always arrange to be there. He, therefore, fiercely opposed the Monks and claimed the xenium as his right wherever he might be on that day (20). In the end the Monks were forced to surrender. This was a major victory for Bishop Gilbert and one of which he and his successors took full advantage. In 1329 the Monks accused Bishop Hamo de Hethe [cf. Hythe] of abusing the system. They claimed he ought by ancient custom to celebrate St. Andrew's day in the cathedral and in the hall adjoining and there receive a present of ten pounds from the prior and Chapter towards his expenses, but that each year he had received the present without performing the ceremony, had left the prior and Chapter to do it, and to pay for it as well (21). The Bishop's answer has not survived. Suffice to say that the xenium survived even the dissolution and was still being paid in the eighteenth century (22).

[(19) DRc/T47
(20) DRc/L3
(21) Registrum Hamonis Hethe Diocesis Roffensis A.D. 1319-1352 transcribed and edited by Charles Johnson, Oxford 1948, pp. 424-431 and Introduction.
(22) DRc/FTv34]

According to Edmund de Hadenham [cf. Haddenham, Buckinghamshire], Ascelin was the first Bishop of Rochester to interfere in the appointment of priory servants (23). When Bishop Gundulf had lived with the Monks there was one set of servants and officials to look after both the Bishop and the Monks, but after the fire of 1137 and the almost total destruction of the conventual buildings, the Bishop set up a separate household. The priory servants apparently joined him and the Monks appointed others. There were over twenty of these servants and officials, all essential to the smooth running of a Benedictine house and all equally indispensible. Their number included the master baker, the second baker, three other bakers, brewers, cooks, a steward, janitor, guestmaster, granger, infirmarer, tailors and launderers to name only a few. Each official's work was carefully laid down but more important than this, so also were his salary and perquisites (24). It was these perquisites, often free food and drink, which made these offices so popular. Many of the servants and officials were related to Monks in the priory. Nepotism was rife. It appears that Ascelin withdrew the priory servants for this reason but a visiting legate reproved him saying it was not his business to interfere. Ascelin relented and the legate attempted to improve matters by making the posts annual appointments rather than permanent ones, but to no purpose. The sons of master bakers still succeeded their fathers and one of them even found favour by marrying the cellarer's sister.

[(23) Wharton, op.cit., p.343
(24) Custumale Roffense ff.53-60.]

The legate Hinemar's suggestions did not solve the problem. The Monks were still complaining under Bishop Gilbert Glanville that he interfered too much in this sphere (25). Gilbert Glanville doubtless had many relatives he wished to provide for, but he cannot have had more than Bishop Hamo de Hethe who was one of the chief offenders on this score. When Simon de Meopham made his archiepiscopal visitation of the priory in 1329 the Monks made 25 complaints against their Bishop, four of which related to this problem. They complained that he appointed to twenty or more offices in the priory when he was entitled to only four or five; that he appointed his own kinsmen and others to priory offices who did their work by deputy and at half wages, too ill paid to be honest; that the officers and their deputies took no notice when reprimanded, and said that they like the Monks were irremovable; and specifically that he had appointed a brewer who was inefficient and of ill fame. Most of the charges against Hamo de Hethe [cf. Hythe] were dismissed but the Monks' claims were not unfounded on their first charge. The Bishop's family name was Noble and there are many appointments of persons of this name in his register (26).

[(25) DRc/L3
(26) Registrum Hamonis p.425 and Introduction]

Apart from their endless conflict with the Bishops in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, there were three other problems of conflict which affected the priory, all of them outside the walls: the position of the priory in relation to the Crown and the Castle; relations with the Citizens of Rochester; and relations with the archdiocese of Canterbury.

The first stone keep is said to have been built at Rochester for King William II by Bishop Gundulf for the then enormous sum of sixty pounds, in return for a gift of land in Haddenham, Buckinghamshire. The priory buildings lay in the shadow of the castle and suffered somewhat in the wars in which it featured. Kings did not, however, neglect the priory. Some visited it, and there is a series of charters of privileges to prove their interest and concern. Many charters repeat the fact that William Rufus was eternally grateful to the monks and their Bishop for supporting him when his uncle Odo, Bishop of Bayeux rebelled against him and besieged Rochester and its castle. The monks lost a good deal in the battle of 1088. Much of their house was destroyed but the Manor of Haddenham rectory, Buckinghamshire proved a lucrative present and, moreover, gave them a link with the past. It had belonged to the Countess Goda, sister of King Edward the Confessor, a fact which several charters also repeat (27)

. There were many skirmishes involving the castle over the years but no further sieges until 1216 when the priory was pillaged by King John and his followers. But the most spectacular siege and the one which the monks turned most to their advantage was that of 1264. In that year, says Rishanger, the Chronicler, Simon de Montfort and the rebel barons brought great siege engines and fire ships to Rochester and prosecuted the siege with great violence. Some of the priory buildings were very badly damaged and Simon and his soldiers broke in a carried off the priory monuments. The story is told on the back of one small deed (28). It tells how the charter and many others were stolen from the prior's chapel where they were kept and carried off to Winchester, and how John de Renham [Rainham], the prior got them back from the robbers but with the seals all broken and many of the charters torn and damaged. He was appalled at the danger in which this might place his house, and at great labour and personal expense persuaded King Henry III to reconfirm all the damaged charters by a new one (29). This the King did. The charter embodies most of the charters granted to the priory since the conquest by Kings, Archbishops, Bishops and other persons. And there is no doubt that this is in fact the charter concerned because, its content apart, there is attached to the seal strings another cord woven into it, to which is attached a small fragment of very heavily cross-stitched parchment, all that remains of the earlier charters.

A great many of the charters in the possession of the priory were damaged in this incident. Therefore to supply the deficiencies not remedied by the new Royal Charter, and also to circumvent some of the problems of the division of property between themselves and their Bishop, the monks resorted to forgery. This was not so much a crime as it is now. Rather, it was a necessity. Once forged documents had been used to prove title they acquired the force of the genuine article. It is of course unnecessary to remark that documents were conveniently lost and suppressed if their contents proved a nuisance.

[(27) DRc/T48, T60 (1), T65 (1)
(28) DRc/T53 and F.F. Smith, History of Rochester p.17
(29) DRc/T60]

There are at least two forged charters among these archives, both charters of Anselm, Archbishop of Canterbury, life long friend of Bishop Gundulf and a great benefactor to Rochester. The first charter refers to Northfleet Church which Anselm gave to the monks. The monks had the presentation but Hubert Walter and successive Archbishops attempted to wrest it from them. Probably in 1264 (or possibly before) the seal was lost from the document and to give it more force a new seal has been made from a cast. It is quite easy to spot. Firstly it has been attached upside down, and secondly there is a shallow depression in the middle of the figure of the Archbishop caused by an airbubble (30). This document is genuine enough. The second is not. It relates to the great quarrels with the Bishops over property. It has no seal and purports to be a charter of Anselm making over to the priory many churches and manors most of which belonged to the Bishop of Rochester (31). The handwriting very closely resembles that of the new charter of 1265 (32). It may even have been written by the same scribe. It has, however, one fault. The charter is dated 1101 by which year four at least of the twelve witnesses were dead and had been dead for several years before Anselm became Archbishop of Canterbury. There are five Bishops included among the witnesses: Maurice of London, Osmund of Salisbury (Wiltshire), Walkelin of Rochester, Stigand of Chichester (Sussex)and Herbert of Thetford (Norfolk). Only Maurice was alive in 1101. Herbert died in 1085, Stigand in 1087, Walkelin in 1098 and Osmund in 1099. Anselm became Archbishop in 1093.

[(30) DRc/T49
(31) DRc/T48
(32) DRc/T60]

There was constant disagreement between the monks and the people of the City of Rochester. The people had no parish church of their own and worshipped at the alter of St. Nicholas which stood before the rood screen in the nave of the Cathedral Church (33). The monks appear to have disliked this system since it brought them into close contact with the populace from whom they wished to remain apart; it disturbed their peace and meant that their church was not their own. Admittedly it was the common custom for the local people to worship in the nave of a monastic church and is the reason why many have survived as parish churches, but it was a sore bone of contention at Rochester. The Benedictine order had moved away from Gundulf's ideal of a monastic church not entirely cut off by physical barriers from the life of the rest of the church. They shut the doors at night and refused the sacrament to the sick; they denied services; and in 1327 they locked the doors of the nave and took away the key. The Bishop forced the monks to come to an agreement with the citizens and on 14 June 1327 it was accordingly agreed that the monks should build an oratory for the citizens in the corner of the nave near the north door with a door and window on the outside of the church for the sacrament for the sick during the night, to which the people should have free entry and exit. They were also guaranteed all the usual daily services (34). The Bishop was sympathetic to their cause and successive Bishops of Rochester tried hard to have a church built for the citizens, but it was not until almost a hundred years after this agreement that this became a reality and St. Nicholas' Church was built beside the Cathedral (35).

[(33) DRc/Emf 77
(34) DRc/L7
(35) Rochester Episcopal Register III, DRc/T60/ff.16v.-18v.

Relations with Canterbury were equally bad. Lanfranc's refoundation at Rochester was modelled on Canterbury. He appointed the first Bishop of Rochester, and the see was thereafter recognised as being in the free gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury. It was thus peculiarly dependent on Canterbury, and as a mark of this dependence, it was customary on the death of their Bishop for the monks of Rochester to take the deceased bishop's pastoral staff to Canterbury where it was laid on the alter in Christchurch Priory, and from where the newly elected Bishop took it after his consecration. Not all the Bishops of Rochester were consecrated at Canterbury. Arnost was consecrated at St. Paul's in London but his immediate successors Gundulf, Ralph and Ernulf at Canterbury. Ascelin also may have been; his successor Walter, brother of Archbishop Theobald, certainly was. It appears that the monks of Rochester objected not to the act of consecration by the Archbishop, or indeed that it took place at Canterbury, but to the claims of the prior of Christchurch that he represented the Church of Canterbury. This was a strange argument for the monks to put forward. They persistently and continually opposed their own diocesan and ought by right to have supported the claim of the prior of Christchurch.

Rivalry between the two houses grew, and in order to avoid the humiliating ceremony after the death of Bishop Waleran in 1183, the monks buried the Bishop's pastoral staff with him in the grave. The monks of Christchurch protested. The rights of the mother church, they declared, must be maintained at all costs and the episcopal staff delivered to the prior. Negotiations were begun. They dragged on for years and years, but for the moment a compromise was reached. The monks of Rochester agreed to deliver the staff, not to the prior but instead to the Archbishop who would deliver it for them. Gilbert Glanville was consecrated by Archbishop Baldwin in 1184 at Canterbury, and as usual in the absence of the Archbishop, took over the administration of his see while he was in the Holy Land. Benedict of Sawston was consecrated at Oxford - a belated attempt to escape from the overlordship of Canterbury; and later Lawrence of St. Martin, one of the King's clerks who became Bishop of Rochester in 1251 instituted litigation to try and secure some measure of independence for Rochester. This he did in the face of Royal disapproval, for both King Henry III and his Queen favoured the primate, and if the negotiations did not have the required results as far as independence was concerned, at least they improved relations between the Bishop and his monks (36).

[(36) DRc/L2, see Wharton, op.cit., pp.342-351; C.E. Woodruff and W. Danks, Memorials of Canterbury Cathedral p.104. Hasted, op.cit, 2nd ed.,IV, p.124 says the Archbishop did not interfere after 1238.]

It is exceedingly difficult to follow the trend of numbers of monks in the priory as the information available is somewhat inadequate. Archbishop Lanfranc introduced twenty-two monks into the house whom he instituted in 1083. When Bishop Gundulf died in March 1108 there were, according to Edmund de Hadenhem [cf. Haddenham] sixty monks some of the best read and the best singers in the Country (37). He also claims that numbers fell off after Gundulf's death but this may be accounted for by the fact that in accordance with the system of Bec, monks from well established houses were continually being sent out to help found and replenished other houses. It is known that monks went out from Rochester to the house of St. John at Colchester (Essex) founded by Eudo Dapifer in 1119/1120 (38) and to Christchurch, Canterbury in 1207 (39). There were apparently only 35 monks at Rochester in 1317; only 30 voted at the election of John de Sheppey as prior in 1333 (40) and these were doubtless drastically reduced by the pestilence which raged in Rochester between 1349-1352 (41). There are only 190 instances in the Rochester episcopal registers of monks entering the priory there for the period between 1320-1537 but this presupposes that all the monks in the house went through the various orders of the priesthood there. Obviously this was not the case and the registers of other bishoprics should be searched to determine an entry figure if this is possible. From the list compiled it would appear that there were far more candidates entering the priory between 1460-1537 than between 1320-1460. Twenty-three monks voted at the election of Lawrence Dan or Mereworth as prior in 1532 (42) and he and nineteen monks took the oath of supremacy on 10th June 1534. Only twelve monks received pensions in May 1541 but this number did not include those provided for under the secular establishment (43). From the figures given here, it would appear that there were normally about 30 monks at Rochester for most of the period of the existence of the priory.

[(37) Wharton, op.cit, p.337
(38) Archaeologia Cantiana XXIII, p.224
(39) Knowles, op.cit, p.365. There is also a case recorded in the Priors' Book concerning William Lecestre who was released from his oath of obedience to the prior of Rochester so that he could go to St. Giles Cornwall in the diocese of Coventry (Warwickshire) and Lichfield (Staffordshire) where Hugh Lempster was prior. This was in 1480. No reason is given for the transfer. DRc/Elb1A f.6
(40) Rochester Episcopal Register I, f.157. This was a disputed election: 22 monks led by the late prior John de Speldhurst voted for John de Sheppey, 5 led by Richard Bledlawe, the cellarer and his subcellarer Peter de Lambourne, for Willam de Reyersshe [Ryarsh] the sacrist; and 3 young monks for Robert de Suthflete [Southfleet].
(41) DRc/F1A
(42) Rochester Episcopal Register IV, f.73
(43) Calender of Letters and Papers Foreign and Domestic. Henry VIII, Vol.XIV, 1540-1541, p.356 no.745, f.30 (November) and p.718 (May)]
When a man became a monk in a religious house, he discarded his own surname after his profession and was known instead by this Christian name and that of the place or parish from whence he came. For this reason it is a simple matter to determine the area from which monks came to Rochester priory. Most of them were local men from Rochester and its neighbouring parishes, some came from Canterbury, Folkestone, Dover, Hythe and Dartford; but as can be seen from the list compiled of the monks passing through the various orders of the priesthood, at lease nine came from London, several from Norfolk, three from Oxford, two from St. Albans (Hertfordshire) one from Ossory in Ireland, one from Winchester (Hampshire) and one from Mayfield in Sussex. The list has been compiled almost exclusively from the Rochester Episcopal registers.

In the early years the priors were probably Frenchmen: Ernulf came from Bec and Ralph from Caen, but as Rochester had the privilege of electing its priors without Royal interference, the tradition of electing a man from within the house itself developed very rapidly, and by the third quarter of the twelfth century this was probably standard practice. There was one exception to this rule. William Fresell who was elected in 1509 had previously been prior of Binham in Norfolk (44). After the migration of Alfred to Abingdon (Berkshire) between 1185-1189 none of the priors left to go to other houses. If they resigned their office, they remained in the house until their death. There are, of course, several exceptions: William de Hoo [St. Werburgh] who retired to Woburn in Bedfordshire; and those priors who resigned on their election to the bishopric, Thomas de Wouldham, Hamo de Hethe [Hythe] and John de Sheppey (45)

[(44) Rochester Episcopal Register IV, f.53. He took the following oath: In dei nomine Amen. Ego Willelmus Fressell Monachus expresse professus ordinis sancti Benedicti prior monasterii ecclesie vestre cathedralis sancti Andree Roffensis per provisionem et nominacionem vestras iuxta antiquas ordinaciones ecclesie vestre predicte prefectus sive nominatus promitto ad sancta dei evangelia vobis et successoribus vestris canonice intrandum et ministrandum vestris canonicam obedienciam Reverenciam et honorem necnon observanciam antiquarum ordinacium prefate ecclesie vestre cathedralis sicut me deus adiumet et sancta dei evangelia.

(45) Wharton, op.cit Successio Priorum, pp.392-399]

File updated by Borough Archivist, Medway Council 9 August 2001.
Date: n/a
Quantity: n/a


Result number 6 - Please quote Reference: DRc_Rochester_Priory_and_other_Religious_Houses_1080_1541/DRc_T126 on request slip.

Path: Ecclesiastical_Regular_and_Capitular_Foundations/ DRc_Rochester_Priory_and_other_Religious_Houses_1080_1541/ BA01_Foundation_Charters_Title_Deeds_and_Leases_c1090_1539/ 01_St_Andrews_Priory_Rochester_c1100_1526/ DRc_T126.html

Grant 1262 x 1283*

Roger, son of John de Herefordde [Hereford, Herefordshire] to John, Prior of Rochester:

3d. annual rent from Prioresbroc in Norhtbrok' and from the meadow pertaining to it in Darenth which Mariota, daughter of William Byterby used to pay him. (Fine 18d.)

Witnesses:

Thomas de Cleindone, Bartholomew de Grenestret [Greenstreet], Richard, the smith, Stephen de Bettlescumbe, William de Mollendino, Bartholomew, the Beadle, Eylred de Aqua, Bartholomew and Robert, his sons, Willey, son of David, Paulinus de Grenestret [Greenstreet], Thomas Franciscus, William, clerk.

Endorsement:

Darenth. Johannis de Hereford [Hereford, Herefordshire] de redditu trium denariorum(13th Century)

Seal.

* John, Prior of Rochester, 1262-1283; also 1292-1294.

Latin.
Date: 1262 x 1283
Quantity: 1 item


Result number 7 - Please quote Reference: DRc_Rochester_Priory_and_other_Religious_Houses_1080_1541/DRc_T170_05 on request slip.

Path: Ecclesiastical_Regular_and_Capitular_Foundations/ DRc_Rochester_Priory_and_other_Religious_Houses_1080_1541/ BA01_Foundation_Charters_Title_Deeds_and_Leases_c1090_1539/ 01_St_Andrews_Priory_Rochester_c1100_1526/ DRc_T170_05.html

Feoffment 1315

William Beaufitz of Strood to the Lord Thomas called Tannere [i.e. Tanner] of Southfleet, chaplain:

Piece of land in Frindsbury abutting on the road to Gravesend.

Witnesses:

Simon Potin [cf. Potyn], Robert de Betlescombe *, John le Engleys, John de Egleshale of Herefordshire, Sir John de Bassingbourne, knight, Ralph le Despenser at Rochester

[* cf. Bettlescumbe, Betlyscumbe, Betlescumbe, Bethlescumbe, Bettlescoumbe, Bettlescoumb]

Endorsement:

Carta Willelmi Beufitz [cf. Beaufitz] [14th Century]

Document stained in parts.

Latin.
Date: 5 October 1315
Quantity: 1 item


Result number 8 - Please quote Reference: DE0167_Local_and_Out_Area_Title_Deeds_1577_to_1973/DE167_45 on request slip.

Path: Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections/ DE0167_Local_and_Out_Area_Title_Deeds_1577_to_1973/ 06_Out_Area_Herefordshire_1811_to_1814/ DE167_45.html

Lease of possession [of lease and release]

(i) Rev. John Hall of Haslar Hospital, [Gosport] Hampshire, clerk
Thomas Webb of Cammers Green, Berrow, Worcestershire, banker,
residuary devisees of Richard Hankins of Ledbury, Herefordshire, banker, deceased

(ii) John Hammond of Lillans Farm, Little Marcle, Herefordshire, gentleman

1 acre 13 perches arable land and orchard in common field called Putley Redding, Putley, Herefordshire; 3 roods and 38 perches arable land in common field called Sunthill; 3 roods 15 perches meadow also in Sunthill.

Rent: 1 peppercorn

Date: 1 August 1811
Quantity: 1 membrane

Result number 9 - Please quote Reference: DE0167_Local_and_Out_Area_Title_Deeds_1577_to_1973/DE167_46 on request slip.

Path: Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections/ DE0167_Local_and_Out_Area_Title_Deeds_1577_to_1973/ 06_Out_Area_Herefordshire_1811_to_1814/ DE167_46.html

Assignment of mortgaged premises for securing £100 plus interest and mortgage by demise of other premises for £400 plus interest.

(i) John Hammond of Little Marcle, Herefordshire, gentleman

(ii) Sarah King of Ledbury, Herefordshire, widow, sole executrix of William King of Ledbury, wheelwright, her late husband

(iii) Philip Baylis of Ledbury, Herefordshire, peruke [cf. periwig or wig] maker

(a) Three parcels of land planted with fruit trees, 4 acres pasture, in Aylton and Putley, Herefordshire, 1 acre 37 perches adjoining a common meadow called Rye Meadow; 3 roods 3 perches pasture adjoining same, 1 acre pasture in same, in Aylton, Herefordshire.

(b) Arable land and orchard 1 acre 13 perches in common field called Putley Reading, in Putley, Herefordshire, 3 roods 38 perches arable land in common field called Sunthill.

Mutilated and incomplete.

Date: 28 September 1814
Quantity: 1 membrane

Result number 10 - Please quote Reference: DE0167_Local_and_Out_Area_Title_Deeds_1577_to_1973/DE167_1_Intro on request slip.

Path: Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections/ DE0167_Local_and_Out_Area_Title_Deeds_1577_to_1973/ DE167_1_Intro.html

Medway Archives and Local Studies Centre

DE167

Title deeds to properties in Kent and Herefordshire with some personal estate papers comprising miscellaneous Rochester solicitor's clients' records 1577-1973

[To view the full collection listing, please click here.]

Deposited on permanent loan 28 April 1992

These records were found at Restoration House, Rochester by the depositor and are surmised to have been kept by a former occupant, Milburn G.W.G. Mackey, solicitor, of 42 High Street, Rochester and 113 High Street, Strood. The records unfortunately comprise part of the rump of a larger quantity of deed bundles and clients' papers that have not survived or have been deposited separately and incompletely on different occasions by different depositors. It is also possible Mackey acquired the papers through his work as Coroner of the City of Rochester and so in some cases they may be strayed City of Rochester records, or else through personal antiquarian interest.

Some records are clearly related to each other and are arranged accordingly, otherwise documents are arranged by geographical area only as suits the nature of the collection. It is possible some of the documents relate to Restoration House, while some seem to relate to premises close to Mackey's offices in Rochester High Street.

[See also deposit DE1078 for the title deeds to Restoration House 1799-1988.]

Further deposits believed to be of Mackey provenance, in two cases with definite provenance, comprise:

DE191, DE214 (confirmed), DE402, DE408, DE417, DE450, DE457 (confirmed), DE485 and DE614.

Items DE167/1,3,4,5 & 7 were withdrawn by the depositor on 2 March 1994 and substituted with photocopies. Items DE167/1, 3 and 7 were subsequently purchased at auction by Medway Council by proxy on 2 May 2006 and restored to the collection.

Listed by Medway Area Archivist (Archivist to Rochester upon Medway City Council) May 1992

Edited for CityArk Phase II by Borough Archivist, Medway Council July 2000.

File updated by Borough Archivist 16 August 2006


Date: N/A
Quantity: N/A
Result number 11 - Please quote Reference: DE0167_Local_and_Out_Area_Title_Deeds_1577_to_1973/DE167_2_Contents on request slip.

Path: Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections/ DE0167_Local_and_Out_Area_Title_Deeds_1577_to_1973/ DE167_2_Contents.html

Contents

City of Rochester Area 1577-1973 DE167/1-22
Chatham Area 1896-1950 DE167/23-27
Strood Rural District Area 1717-1973 DE167/28-33
Gillingham Area 1871-1946 DE167/34-42
Out-area: Kent 1964-1972 DE167/43-44
Out-area: Herefordshire 1811-1814 DE167/45-46
Other clients' papers 1970 DE167/47-48

Date: N/A
Quantity: N/A
Result number 12 - Please quote Reference: Unofficial_Series_Collections/U0480_T153 on request slip.

Path: Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections/ Unofficial_Series_Collections/ U0480_Best_Family_of_Boxley_and_Chatham_1596_1970/ 01_Title_Deeds_1561_1900/ 10_Out_County_1740_1838/ U0480_T153.html


Radnor, Wales and Herefordshire


1740



Rectory of Old Radnor and Watkins Farm [Thomas Best, Charles Taylor (who married Anne one of Thomas's daughters) and Mawdistly Best].







Date: 1740
Quantity: 1 item
Result number 13 - Please quote Reference: Unofficial_Series_Collections/U0565_F589 on request slip.

Path: Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections/ Unofficial_Series_Collections/ U0565_Earls_of_Darnley_Cobham_Hall_1537_1974/ U565_Additional/ 04_Family/ 01_Family_Members/ 38_Letters_with_transcripts/ 08_Mixed_bundles/ U0565_F589.html

Letters and transcripts
Existing file comprising:
Letter to Captain John Lloyd from Richard Moore of Hereford, Herefordshire. Report of a meeting of a Lodge of Free Masons. Mentions Lord Darnley [Edward 2nd Earl of Darnley] as their Grand Master.

Letter to [Edward 2nd Earl of Darnley] from his brother John [later 3rd Earl of Darnley] in Rome. General news and sending money.

Letter to Lady Darnley (unidentified) from Thomas Bligh. Carriages and news of other Peers of the Realm.

Letter to John 3rd Earl of Darnley from M Wright. Household matters.

Extracts from an account book of John 3rd Earl of Darnley. Travels around the country.

Date: 1737-1767
Quantity: 9 sheets and 1 folder
Result number 14 - Please quote Reference: Unofficial_Series_Collections/U0565_F734 on request slip.

Path: Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections/ Unofficial_Series_Collections/ U0565_Earls_of_Darnley_Cobham_Hall_1537_1974/ U565_Additional/ 04_Family/ 03_Unidentified_personal_ephemera/ 09_General_maps/ U0565_F734.html

Ordnance Survey Map
Army Manoeuvre Map covering Birmingham, Warwickshire, Worcester, Worcestershire, Hereford, Herefordshire and Ludlow, Shropshire.
Scale: ½ inch to 1 mile.

Date: 1914
Quantity: 1 item
Text version | Accessibility help | Home